STRANGER IN THE NIGHT
taught by Sh Omar Suleiman on ILMFLIX
Details of the Prophet’s saw Qiyam
All these stories show that sahabah was in love with the Prophet saw and wanted to worship the way Prophet saw worships.
Most Extensive Hadith on It
Ibn Abbas was only 10 years old, “I wanted to be in company of Prophet saw. One night I asked my aunt Maymunah (wife of Prophet saw) if I could spend the night in her house the night that Prophet saw is with her. She said, “Let me ask Rasulullah saw.” Prophet saw accepted. So when I entered in upon them, Prophet saw embraced me, and my aunt went to sleep vertically on the bed and I slept horizontally on the bed at the feet of Prophet saw and Maymunah. I was watching Prophet saw and waiting to see what he was going to do. After about half the night,
- he jumped up [wathaba وَثَبَ – like the way a lion would jump(this is also how Aisha described it)] from his blanket.
- The Prophet saw wiped the sleep from his eyes,
- The Prophet saw looked up at the sky and read the last 10 ayah of Aali Imran (very intimately tied to this topic of Qiyam),
- Prophet saw would brush teeth [narrated by Aishah – Prophet saw never stood up at night except he brushed his teeth before he did his wudhu]
- Prophet saw stood up to make wudhu and he perfected his wudhu (fa ah7sanal wudhu) [Aishah said that the Prophet saw didn’t miss a single spot in his wudhu and he scrubbed harder when he woke up for his qiyam. Whenever he washed his hand he grabbed them harder and for his face he grabbed it harder too],
- Ibn Abbas said that the Prophet saw had has his bucket hanging, did his wudhu [a good idea to have that bucket next to you to remind you that when you wake up, you need to make wudhu] [narrated by Shareeq al Hawzani, in Abi Dawud] He asked Aisha, “How did the Prophet saw begin his salat at night?” Aisha said, “You are the first one that’s ever asked me that question. Whenever the Prophet saw stood up, before he started his salat, he would say subhanalahhi wabihamdihi 10 times, and then he’d say subhaanal malikil quddoos 10 times and he’d say Allahu Akbar 10 times and say alhamdulilah 10 times and say astaghfirullah 10 times and say lailaahaillallah 10 times and then say Allahumma inni a3zuzhubika min dheeqi dunya wa dheeqi yaumul qiyaamah [Oh Allah I seek refuge in You from the constriction of the dunya and from the constriction of the Day of Judgment]10 times and then he’d start the salat.” Prophet saw was like preparing for an event.
- Start in your place of qiyam by mentioning those azhkaar. Then after Takbir, what did the Prophet saw say? Abu Salamah Ibn Abdurahman Ibn Awf asked Aisha “What were the words Prophet saw started with in his qiyam (when he said Allahu Akbar)?” She said, “Every time he said Allahu Akbar, aside from doing the opening dua he’d say Allahuma rabba Jibrail wa mikaail wa Israafeel faatira samawaati walardh, aalimal ghaybi washahaadah anta tahkumu bayna ibadika feema kaanoo feehi yakhtalifoon, ihdinii limakhtulifa feehi minal haqqi biizhnik innaka anta tahdi man tasha ilaa siraatil mustaqeem,[Oh Allah the lord of Jibril, Mikail and Israfeel, Originator of the heavens and the earth, Knower of that which is seen and unseen, You are the one that judges between your servants about that which they used to differ, guide me to that which they differ over by Your permission, You guide whoever you will to the straight path] then he’d go on to surah Fatihah.” [this hadith also narrated by Abu Dawud]
Tip:- When you wake up and you think, “I’ll take 5 more minutes.” At this point, you have already lost the battle with shaytaan. Shaytaan has urinated in your eyes at that time. You will keep on hitting snooze till you almost miss Fajr.
Tip:- Prophet saw is teaching us a lesson, as soon as you wake up, GET UP! Hence dua. remember Allah immediately.
Sufyan At-Thawri : “If your eyes open at night it’s because your body is rested and your soul wants its turn (time to rest by interacting with Allah). If you wake up, don’t concern yourself with whether it’s 1st 2nd 3rd part of night, get up and pray, sit up straight as the Prophet saw did.”
This is my notes from the ILF class Stranger In the Night, taught by Sh. Omar Suleiman. I thought I’d share my notes this way (piece meal) on top of uploading them as 1 big file. It will also motivate me to actually finish cleaning it up in sha Allah! May it be of benefit. Ameen.