STRANGER IN THE NIGHT
taught by Sh Omar Suleiman on ILMFLIX
Stages of Night Prayer With/Out the People
- Initially Prophet saw prayed in jamaah in and outside of Ramadan
- Zayd ibn Thaabit (Abu Dawud) said that Prophet saw had a chamber in masjid. He used to come out at night and pray there and people used to rush behind him and pray as well. They would come to this prayer every single night and if on any night Prophet saw didn’t come out, they’d stand in front of his door and raise their voices and throw pebbles at his door thinking he wasn’t awake and cough loud and eventually Prophet saw came out and said, “Oh people, you kept on doing this until I was afraid that Allah was going to make this obligatory for you. The best salah for a person outside of what has been told to do in masjid is in your home. [this was outside of Ramadan]
- Prophet saw used to pray in front area of his home [narrated by Aishah in Bukhari]. The wall of the front was low, so the people could see when the Prophet saw came out to that area. So they would come to outside his hujrah and follow him in salah. This happened for a few nights and Prophet saw didn’t come out and the people came and he said the same thing above.
- Aishah said that Prophet saw used to have a haseer (mat) he used to sit on during day, and when at night he prayed he’d put it up, he’d block the upper area of short wall so people couldn’t see him. Aishah said that people started to go behind the haseer with the Prophet saw. Their numbers started to increase that it started from the door of the Prophet saw into the center of the masjid that Prophet saw said, “Do good deeds you can keep up with. Allah doesn’t get tired, you will get tired. And the most beloved action to Allah are ones that are consistent even if they’re small.”
- Prophet saw took the haseer down and would pray in the same spot he’d slept. Aishah said (in Bukhari) that “I used to sleep horizontally between the Prophet saw and qiblah (like a body in janazah) and when Prophet saw would make sujud he’d tap my legs so I’d move it. The hujuraat was a very small area – 9×4. No one would follow him at that point, it became private for him.
This is my notes from the ILF class Stranger In the Night, taught by Sh. Omar Suleiman. I thought I’d share my notes this way (piece meal) on top of uploading them as 1 big file. It will also motivate me to actually finish cleaning it up in sha Allah! May it be of benefit. Ameen.