Allah doesn’t have to explain to us why He wants us to do certain things or don’t do certain things, but in the Quran, He does, and this is definitely out of His mercy for us.
In surah An Nisaa,
Allah wants to make clear to you [the lawful from the unlawful] and guide you to the [good] practices of those before you and to accept your repentance. And Allah is Knowing and Wise.[An Nisaa 4:26]
- Allah can make clear to us the lawful and unlawful
- Allah can guide us to His obedience just as He guided those before us (prophets and those who are obedient)
- Allah can turn to us in mercy and accept our repentance. Basically here, Allah is educating us through clear explanations and guidance so the people don’t suffer from consequences of not doing so
The word يَتُوبُ, when used for Allah can mean two things:-
- Taubah of Allah before the taubah of the slave. This means that Allah gives the slave the tawfeeq to repent to Him, e.g. by giving the slave knowledge to repent, so that the slave knows what is right and what is wrong.
- After the slave repents, Allah accepts the repentance
Subhanallah…how much are truly are at Allah’s mercy! Literally! We can’t even repent without His tawfeeq! Subhanallah! That should be enough food for thought to last us for a lifetime.
[Taken from Taleem Al Quran notes taught by Sr Taimiyyah Zubayr and Sr. Aisha Altaf]